A Wedding in Coquitlam, BC, Canada

I was in Coquitlam, BC, for 4 days to attend my niece's wedding. Flew into Vancouver, Canada, on July 30, rented a car (Avis gave me a Toyota Prius, which I loved) and drove to Surrey to meet up with my brother and his wife. They were camping in the Peach Arch RV Park, having driven up from Plano in their RV. I met my sister-in-law's sister and husband who had flown to Vancouver from Sabah, Malaysia, and will be on their RV trip across Canada and into the US later on. Then I drove into Coquitlam, about 45 mins away, where I had reserved a room via Airbnb. The Airbnb was in a quiet neighborhood, the room with its independent entrance and ensuite bathroom was clean and comfortable.
The next morning, I found a Tim Horton's for breakfast. I always try to go to TM at least once when in Canada, as I like their coffee and donuts. Then my sister messaged me about lunch with her soon-to-be son-in-law's parents at the M Cafe nearby. I joined my sister and her husband, the bride's parents. The groom's parents, Patrick and Mandy, were originally from Hong Kong: they were very friendly and made me feel like part of the family. Despite being very fluent in English, they spoke mostly in Cantonese, which was a good opportunity for me to refresh my Cantonese skills, although I listened more than spoke, having lost most of the vocabulary through lack of usage. After lunch, we took a walk in one of the many parks in the area. The weather was warm and sunny, with low humidity. We drove to Lafarge Lake, and we walked around the lake which was really pretty.
Then we went to an event supplies warehouse to pick up some drinks dispensers that Mandy had reserved for the wedding reception the next day. My rental car was needed to help transport some of the supplies to the church. I ended up observing the wedding rehearsal in the afternoon. Met my nieces and nephew: I have not seen them since the wedding of my 3rd niece, 4 years ago, in Winnipeg. Then it was back to the AirBnb to shower and change for dinner at the Lee Garden Seafood Restaurant in Coquitlam. There were two tables reserved for the bride and groom's immediate families. The first table of 10 was for the family elders, while the 2nd was for the kids and grandkids. The 10-course Chinese dinner was sumptious and delicious, starting with appetizers, followed by soup, peking duck, chicken, fish, beef, vegetables, lobster, fried rice and finally, dessert. It had been a long while since I had a traditional 10-course dinner. Below are some photos of the dishes.
Drove back to the AirBnB after dinner, and saw my host and his wife in the yard tending their garden. They were very friendly, originally from China, with kids in Seattle and San Francisoco. They loaned me a small umbrella since the next day was expected to be rainy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dunes National Park: Kemil Beach, West Beach and Diana of the Dunes

Quilts and other creations

Jockey's Ridge State Park, NC