After breakfast in my campsite, I packed up Millie and headed for the Indiana Dunes National Park's visitor center to get information on what to do and see. I discovered that the park's sights and landmarks stretch over several miles between the towns of Gary and Michigan City. On the way, I stopped by Kemil Beach which included the "futuristic" homes that were built for the 1933 Chicago World Fair. The houses were not open for tours, but there were displays describing them. The photo below is one of the homes. Starting with the western edge of the NP at West Beach, I hiked the Diana's Dune and the succession trail that ended at the shore of Lake Michigan and back to the parking lot. Unfortunately, I did not take the photo to show that I successfully completed the Diana of the Dunes Dare . Also stopped to admire a panne, i.e. a "lake" created by a blowout in a dune that was just outside of the bath house at West Beach. Took a break f...
Quilting and associated crafting is an on/off hobby for many years. I'm just an amateur, but combining colors and designs into useful objects made me happy. In the earlier years, I used to quilt bedspreads, but had a difficult time finishing them. Nowadays, I make smaller items that I could finish. Below is a selection of items I have made through the years, starting with the most recent. I just finished a cot-sized bedspread for my RV mattress, the colorful floral fabric was purchased during my trip to Japan a couple of years ago. It did not turn out the way I like, I found the colors/design too busy. But it will have to do until I make another I like better. Two mini quilts completed recently for the Quilters Guild of Plano's annual auction this summer (forgot to take a photo of the finished blue quilt) Table runners were easy to finish. I made these for friends, for special ocassions. I am using these mug rugs myself, quilted from 100% Japanese cotton. Made a l...
The predicted downpour came around 4 am, and I woke up to a very wet campground. I was very glad to have reserved an improved campsite at Fontainebleau after all! Drove out to my next campground, stopping for breakfast at Panera Bread in Covington. Lake Bistineau State Park in Doyline, LA is in a rather remote area. I was on county or rather parish roads most of the way, very little traffic. Quite disturbing to see that the sides of the roads were littered with trash, plastic bags, cups, bottles, cans, etc. It was a rather gloomy day, finally got to the park about 4 pm. Small campground, the lake had been drained so the water level was low. Lots of insects flying around, although they went away as the temperature went down in the evening. I expect that it will be pretty bad later in the season. Photos above are the views from my campsite. Cooked boudin (Cajun sausage with pork and rice) for dinner, ate them with a side of steamed broccoli. Stayed in the minivan because of th...
Comments
Post a Comment